A player should have the desire and courage to win the ball in the air. The type of heading depends on the area of the pitch.
To win the advantage over the opposition in the air, or in an attacking situation.
- Move into position
- Be first to the ball and attack it
- Jump to meet the ball if necessary with eyes open
- Accurate contact is always with forehead
- Strike the ball with maximum force
- Decision, know your intention first i.e. defending or attacking
- Good timing and body movement must coordinate with the head making contact
- Strike the ball correctly on contact using the neck muscle to power the ball( Jack-knife actions)
- Remember if you strike the bottom of the ball it will rise and the top half of the ball will go down.