It is the ability of any gifted player to beat opponents by means of close ball techniques in tight situations creating space for a pass, shot for himself or a team-mate. dribbling can be an asset when performed correctly.
Objectives of Dribbling are to creates space, by beating a challenging opponent and takes him out of his defensive line or position. It creates numerical advantages. It also unsettles defensive patterns of opponents.
- A combination of foot and body movements
- Foot Turning
- Dribbling with the inside or outside foot - taking the weight off the ball( shielding it through)
- Dribbling with a combination of foot movements - J.J Okocha turns.
- Hooking actions - Stopping and turning
- Dragging the ball
- Steps over - Ronaldhino/ Brazilian stepovers
- Bring ball under control
- Approach opponent not at top speed
- trick (unbalance) the opponent using body feints or foot movements
- Move up a gear and do not let opponent get too close
- Take a defender out of his defensive line( wrong foot him, take him out)
- Accelerate into space quickly
- Be aggressive, develop positive attitude
- First touch on the ball (close control or shield ball)
- Change angle at the ball when a defender is about to intercept o tackle you.
- Normally while under attacking pressure, defenders go for power, height, width and distance to relieve pressure.
- Get into position quickly
- Attack the ball at its highest point
- Jump off the back foot, arch the back
- Use the strong neck muscle( Jack-Knife) action
- Correct contact of the ball is the bottom half of the ball to get height, distance and width
- Use arms for balance