A player should have the desire and courage to win the ball in the air. The type of heading depends on the area of the pitch.
The objective is to win the advantage over the opposition in the air, or in an attacking situation.
- Move into position
- Be first to the ball and attack it
- Jump to meet the ball if necessary with eyes open
- Accurate contact is always with forehead
- Strike the ball with maximum force
- Decision, know your intention first i.e. defending or attacking
- Good timing and body movement must coordinate with the head making contact
- Strike the ball correctly on contact using the neck muscle to power the ball( Jack-knife actions)
- Remember if you strike the bottom of the ball it will rise and the top half of the ball will go down.
- Normally while under attacking pressure, defenders go for power, height, width and distance to relieve pressure.
- Get into position quickly
- Attack the ball at its highest point
- Jump off the back foot, arch the back
- Use the strong neck muscle( Jack-Knife) action
- Correct contact of the ball is the bottom half of the ball to get height, distance and width
- Use arms for balance
Attacking Heading Selection
- Near post heading
- Mid- goal heading
- Far post heading
- Deflective and flicks
*N.B Defenders always react to movement.*
- Move back the far post away from the ball
- make defenders adjust their positions( get the blind side of the marker) attack defenders without the ball.
- Use movements, checking and changing direction of runs to create space before the ball is delivered.
- Use correct timing and patience in ball contact
- Eyes on the ball
- Strike the top half of the ball to score
Taking chances for Heading to score
- Near post headers - steered or deflected headers can be used to catch goal keeper out of position
- Mid goal headers
- large target area
- go for the corners of the goal post
- use power heading
- Far post heading
- use when goal keeper is moving backwards
- head powerfully downwards (the most difficult to save
- Diving headers - requires courage, determination and skill be first to the ball
- Flick on (Deflection) - used to divert the ball at goal or over defenders heads